Sunday 5 October 2014

A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin | Review

Title: A Game Of Thrones
Series: A Song Of Ice and Fire
Genre: Epic Fantasy
My Star Rating:
Blurb:

Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand his honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must ... and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty. The old gods have no power in the south, Stark's family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.

A Game Of Thrones is a big book. Big books ,to many, are daunting. People think these books will be dificult to read with big words and long chapters. A Game Of Thrones isn't. I agree that the writing style would be a bit much for a small child but then again a small child shouldn't be reading this book at all. The chapters are of a good size and in order to get through this book you just need to dedicate some time to it and take it a chapter at a time. You'd be suprised at how fast you can read it.

It is one of the most beautifully written books I have ever read. Every so often I would stop reading and take a moment to appriciate the sentence I had just read. However one of my pet peeves with this book was that half the chapters began with "(insert character name) was breaking his/her fast when...". 

There are eight different character perspectives. First is Ned Stark: he is the Lord of Winterfell, an honourable man and close friends with King Robert Baratheon. Next is Ned's wife, Catelyn Stark. Then there children Arya, Sansa and Bran aswell as Ned's bastard son, Jon Snow. From King's Landing we have Tyrion Lannister: a dwarf, the son of one of the most powerful men in Westeros. Then finally Daenerys Targrayen, a thirteen year old girl who wants to go home, accompanied by a brother who wants the iron throne.

The plot of this book is very clever. It's almost like several seperate stories but they all intertwine in such interesting ways.

The first time I tried to read this book I found it very difficult to picture what was going on. It was like I was reading the words but they weren't registering with me at all. It had been recommend that I watch the HBO TV show before reading the book and I did. After watching the show, the book made perfect sense to me. There was, however, a downfall to this. Because I had watched the show and new exactly what was going to happen this book took me a long time to read. I didn't have any interest in finding out what happened next because I already new.

Overall this was a great book and is becoming one of my favourites so I hope you like it too.
Love Always,
Freya

No comments:

Post a Comment